Doing Your Own Bit
How to make a rug from old t-shirts
What do you do with your old t-shirts? If they're too baggy and worn out to give to someone else, why not chop them into strips and make them into a colorful little rug. Your new dancefloor?
Here's how to do it..
Ask your family and friends if they have any old T-shirts they want to get rid of. Don't buy new ones for this, because there are so many clothes in the world as it is, and this is a way to upcycle, re-use and give your feet something to snuggle into.
Off we go: You will need a hula hoop, a bunch of old T-shirts, a pair of scissors, and a little bit of patience. Once you get started, it's easy, but we made a few mistakes and had to go back to the beginning. Maybe you won't have that problem!
1. Cut your first T-shirt into 11 strips, about 1.5 centimeters (just over half an inch) wide.
2. Cut all your other T-shirts (the more colorful the better) into strips about the same width.
3. Put your first eleven strips around the hula hoop to create the weaving frame. It looks like a wheel.
4. Pull two of the strips together, so you have an uneven number of weaving "spokes" - that is very
important, because otherwise, you will go wrong immediately.
5. Loop your first colorful strip around the two "spokes" you pulled together and pull one end through. Pull it tight to make a knot.
6. Start weaving.
7. When you get to the end of your first colored strip, add another one by looping it through the end.
8. Keep going like that until you have used all your colored strips and your rug is big and bright and beautiful. It doesn't take very long once you get started.
9. Weave your last strip through the "spokes" until there is just a little bit of it left.
10. Cut through the end, and tie it around the nearest "spoke." Trim off the ends.
11. Now, you are ready to free your rug. Cut through each "spoke" right at the top, where they are touching the hula hoop.
12. Lie it on the ground and tie the "spokes" together. You do this by taking two neighboring ends - one from the top, one from the bottom.
13. Go right around doing this and trimming the ends.
14. Your rug, or your new dance floor, is ready for action!