UN suspends missions to Gaza after Hamas shuts border

The United Nations is to trim its work in the Palestinian territory after Hamas partially closed Gaza's Erez foot crossing. A search of Gaza continues after the mysterious murder of a senior Hamas military figure.

A regional UN source said on Friday the organization was frustrated about the impact of last weekend's border closure between Gaza and Israel on aid work and its attempts to negotiate the Palestinian-Israeli peace process.

The UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East peace process (UNSCO) will not send staff to Gaza until further notice, the source told the news agency Agence France-Presse. The border restrictions also affect UNSCO's envoy Nickolay Mladenov.

Mysterious killing

The Islamic militant group Hamas, which runs the Gaza Strip, shut the crossing after blaming the Jewish state for the assassination of a senior military figure near his home last Friday. Israel has not commented on the killing.

Officials said restrictions at Erez, which is the only pedestrian land border between Israel and Gaza, would remain in place until further notice.

Movement in and out of Gaza is already tightly restricted by Israel and Egypt, who have maintained a blockade on the coastal territory since Hamas took power a decade ago.

Although the crossing was partially reopened a day later, men between 18 and 45 are still prevented from leaving the enclave, as a manhunt for Faqha's killer continues.

Karte Israel Sderot Beersheba Englisch

Half a dozen international aid workers were also stopped at the border, which led more than 100 NGOs and rights groups to demand the crossing urgently be reopened.

Around two thirds of Gaza's residents rely on aid to survive, according to UN figures.

Despite Israel's own blockade, it does grant hundreds of permits for medical, educational, business and other reasons per week.

Impact on residents felt

The World Health Organization said on Thursday that 79 patients have missed medical appointments, meaning they will have to reapply for hard-to-get travel permits from Israel.

Related Subjects

One resident, Abu Aassi, said that he ended up missing an appointment that had taken him three weeks to wangle.

"I totally understand the situation, but there also has to be a solution to the situation," he appealed to Hamas.

Other Gaza residents have complained after some 3,000 fishermen were banned from going to sea, leaving local shops without supplies.

"The fish market is almost empty, and this is because of the closure of the sea," said Zakareya Bakker, a 45-year-old fisherman.

The leader of a local business association says he was in contact with authorities to try to improve daily life while the blockade remains in place.


UN Security Council Resolution 242, 1967

United Nations Security Council Resolution 242, passed on November 22, 1967, called for the exchange of land for peace. Since then, many of the attempts to establish peace in the region have referred to 242. The resolution was written in accordance with Chapter VI of the UN Charter, under which resolutions are recommendations, not orders.


Camp David Accords, 1978

A coalition of Arab states, led by Egypt and Syria, fought Israel in the Yom Kippur or October War in October 1973. The conflict eventually led to the secret peace talks that yielded two agreements after 12 days. This picture from March 26, 1979, shows Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, his US counterpart Jimmy Carter and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin after signing the accords in Washington.


The Madrid Conference, 1991

The US and the former Soviet Union came together to organize a conference in the Spanish capital city of Madrid. The discussions involved Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, and Palestinians — not from the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) — who met with Israeli negotiators for the first time. While the conference achieved little, it did create the framework for later, more productive talks.


Oslo I Accord, 1993

The negotiations in Norway between Israel and the PLO, the first direct meeting between the two parties, resulted in the the Oslo I Accord. The agreement was signed in the US in September 1993. It demanded that Israeli troops withdraw from West Bank and Gaza and a self-governing, interim Palestinian authority be set up for a five-year transitional period. A second accord was signed in 1995.


Camp David Summit Meeting, 2000

US President Bill Clinton invited Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat to the retreat in July 2000 to discuss borders, security, settlements, refugees and Jerusalem. Despite the negotiations being more detailed than ever before, no agreement was concluded. The failure to reach a consensus at Camp David was followed by renewed Palestinian uprising, the Second Intifada.


The Arab Peace Initiative, 2002

The Camp David negotiations were followed first by meetings in Washington and then in Cairo and Taba, Egypt — all without results. Later the Arab League proposed the Arab Peace Initiative in Beirut in March 2002. The plan called on Israel to withdraw to pre-1967 borders so that a Palestinian state could be set up in the West Bank and Gaza. In return, Arab countries would agree to recognize Israel.


The Roadmap, 2003

The US, EU, Russia and the UN worked together as the Middle East Quartet to develop a road map to peace. While Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas accepted the text, his Israeli counterpart Ariel Sharon had more reservations with the wording. The timetable called for a final agreement on a two-state solution to be reached in 2005. Unfortunately, it was never implemented.


Annapolis, 2007

In 2007 US President George W. Bush hosted a conference in Annapolis, Maryland, to relaunch the peace process. Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas took part in talks with officials from the Quartet and over a dozen Arab states. It was agreed that further negotiations would be held with the goal of reaching a peace deal by the end of 2008.


Washington, 2010

In 2010, US Middle East Envoy George Mitchell convinced Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to agree to and implement a ten-month moratorium on settlements in disputed territories. Later, Netanyahu and Abbas agreed to relaunch direct negotiations to resolve all issues. Negotiations began in Washington in September 2010, but within weeks there was a deadlock.


Cycle of escalation and ceasefire continues

A new round of violence broke out in and around Gaza late 2012. A ceasefire was reached between Israel and those in power in the Gaza Strip, which held until June 2014. The kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teenagers in June 2014 resulted in renewed violence and eventually led to the Israeli military operation Protective Edge. It ended with a ceasefire on August 26, 2014.


Paris Summit, 2017

Envoys from over 70 countries gathered in Paris, France, to discuss the conflict between Israelis and Palestinians. Netanyahu slammed the discussions as "rigged" against his country. Neither Israeli nor Palestinian representatives attended the summit. "A two-state solution is the only possible one," French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said at the opening of the event.


Deteriorating relations in 2017

Despite the year's optimistic opening, 2017 brought further stagnation in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. A deadly summer attack on Israeli police at the Temple Mount, a site holy to both Jews and Muslims, sparked deadly clashes. Then US President Donald Trump's plan to move the embassy to Jerusalem prompted Palestinian leader Abbas to say "the measures ... undermine all peace efforts."

mm/kl (AFP, AP, dpa)